OSU Medical Center744 West 9th Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74127-9020 (918) 599-1000
Benefits | Opportunities | Requirements | Become a Volunteer | Volunteer Application | Contact If you have ever visited a hospital or been a patient, you know how reassuring it is to receive a smile, hear words of encouragement or simply be given directions to the right location. OSU Medical Center volunteers give of their time each week to provide comforting moments like these to patients and their visitors. By joining our volunteer group, you receive the satisfaction of helping others, continued learning and the opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life. . . and of your own. Please join the team dedicated to making OSUMC a premier provider of health care services. Your service is needed! OSU Medical Center Volunteer Services recently made a visit to Good Day Tulsa. Click here to see the video and learn more about volunteering at OSU Medical Center. Benefits While the most gratifying benefit is helping others, you also will make new friends, continue learning new skills and discover careers presented in the medical field. Other benefits include:
- Availability to free hospital sponsored education sessions
- Complimentary meal in the OSUMC cafeteria (for a four-hour or longer shift)
- Free parking
- Discount at the gift shop
- Invitation to the annual volunteer recognition dinner
- Free annual flu vaccination
Opportunities to Consider A variety of opportunities are available throughout the medical center. Some positions require the volunteer to be especially mobile, while other positions are predominantly sitting.
- Information Attendant & Way Finder - Provide patient room information, give directions and escort visitors to their destination.
- Hospitality Host – Provide patients with comfort, support and a good listening ear.
- Waiting Room Liaison – Update and provide patient information to waiting family and friends.
- Emergency Room Host – Provide a presence of calm to visitors and assist staff in a variety of tasks.
- Admissions Escort – Greet and escort patients to various locations throughout the hospital.
- Clerical Support – Provide general office assistance to various departments.
- Library Assistant – Shelve publications and check in/out materials.
- Volunteers commit to a minimum of four hours per week for at least six months.
- Arrange an interview by calling Volunteer Services at 918-599-5056.
- Complete a Volunteer Application and return it to Volunteer Services.
- Complete a background screening
- Receive a tuberculosis skin test, two weeks later a second test is administered (provided by OSUMC).
- If born after 1956, submit evidence of laboratory test showing immunity to rubeola (measles), rubella (German measles) and varicella (chicken pox). Immunization record, documentation of titer or physician-diagnosed documentation is acceptable.
- Once accepted, attend hospital and volunteer orientation. Additional training in assigned area may be necessary.
The process takes a few weeks before an assignment is made. Volunteers purchase a uniform. Please Join Us! Make the choice to become a OSUMC Volunteer, please contact: Volunteer Services 744 West 9th Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74127 918-599-5056 firstname.lastname@example.org